Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Write This 2014

For the past couple of weeks I have been feeling occasionally distressed that I had not yet announced the theme of the annual Academic Writing Contest, and then I noticed the date on last year's announcement -- December 22. So now I feel better, though only if I don't think too much about what that means about the past two years.

A summary of the themes of the last six (6) contests:

And now, to celebrate the end of 2014 and get everyone in a festive mood for 2015, the theme for this year's writing contest is: The Rejection Letter.

The rules are simple:

- Write a brief rejection letter that exemplifies whatever interests you most about this type of communication -- how awful they can be, how insincere, how kind, how bizarre, how cryptic, or whatever.

- Entries can be made up or can be (anonymized) real ones that are somehow noteworthy for their awfulness, awesomeness, bizarreness etc.

- Email entries to femalescienceprofessor@gmail.com, and as usual I will arbitrarily post some or all of them whilst the FSP family makes its annual expedition to somewhere interesting.

3 comments:

NonUS FSP said...

Merry Christmas, FSP!
Good to see a post today, and I am looking forward to the results of the competition.

plam said...

This is not quite a rejection letter, so I won't enter it into the contest. But a student tried to reject my rejection email (not in the funny way that I've seen on the Internet, but just replying again with yet another a request to be admitted).

I wrote: "The email you just sent me shows no evidence that you read any of the words that I wrote."

EliRabett said...

All entries must be 140 characters or less